Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Dessert Family Tree


I found this idea in a cupcake book and decided to put my own spin on it! A cupcake family tree, an easy (and tasty) DIY project to have your entire family talking at your next family event.





I used a canvas and made my own acrylic painting of a tree.  I added a heart carving with my grandparents names to add a special touch.

The book I originally got the idea from used fondant for the skin, facial features, and hair. I think that fondant can be difficult to work with and doesn't actually taste that great. I decided to make it more taste bud friendly.

1. I used a box mix cake. Use foil liners to prevent any oils from the cupcake to ruin the painting.

2. I frosted the cupcakes with canned vanilla frosting and food coloring. I used Wilton peach colored food coloring.

3. The nose and yes were made from molding gum paste. You can buy bags of it at Walmart in the Wilton section.

4. The hair was the trickiest part. I melted chocolate melting wafers and uses a Ziploc bag to pipe the hair. I bought the wafers in various colors, and even mixed the peanut butter and chocolate to get varying shade of brown. On the back of the wax paper i drew circles about the size of a cupcake to use a guide line.  If the chocolate in the piping bag is slightly cooled, making it less runny, you can add detail and textures more easily. I also piped accessories like hats and glasses.

5. Assemble.  You will want to wait to frost the cupcake until all of your pieces are made. If the frosting sets up too much the pieces will not stick.  I frosted each cupcake as I decorated it.

No comments:

Post a Comment